Last Thursday while I was substitute teaching for the Level 3 English class, we talked about the story of the first Thanksgiving. They surprised me with their excellent comprehension, though I'm sure it resonated as many of them, like the Pilgrims, also fled religious (and ethnic) persecution in Burma and China. It occurred to me how appropriate it is to celebrate this holiday with people who are experiencing firsthand the blessings of God's protection and provision as they settle in this great nation. May America always be used of God as a land of safety, bounty, and opportunity for the oppressed.
This week we had two Thanksgiving potlucks, one for the morning-classes group and one for the afternoon-classes group. I went to the afternoon-classes potluck with my students; many of their children I also know from Kids Club. It was a lot of fun teaching my friends from Burma about American traditions, and the meal was an interesting assortment of traditional American Thanksgiving fare along with various spicy noodle dishes from Burma and injera bread from Ethiopia. Yum! And of course, in typical Asian custom, we took pictures and selfies - lots and lots of selfies! I am so thankful and blessed to have been welcomed into the lives of these sweet friends here in Dallas, TX.
"I will give thanks to You, O LORD, among the peoples;
I will sing praises to You among the nations." Psalm 57:9
*To respect the privacy of individuals mentioned in this post, please do not share this information in a public setting or on social media.*



No comments:
Post a Comment